1. Working. This summer marks the first summer I’ve every had to work everyday. I’ve had summer internships since the beginning of college, but even last year I was only working 2 days a week and only had class at night twice a week. Waking up everyday at 7am while the beautiful summer sun is shining..it’s hard. I’ve been tired since the beginning of June, and see no end in sight. I’ve been trying to make the most of the extended sunshine, but sometimes when I get home all I want is pajamas!
2. That Summer Produce Though. Ok so I LOVE peaches and tomatoes, and yet I really only eat them 2-3 months of the year. A non farm fresh, mid summer peach is just the most delicious thing on the planet. Tomatoes? Those pale, hard, round things you see at the stores in the winter are NOT tomatoes. I could eat a tomato everyday and be happy, but only if it’s perfectly ripe and juicy. I just spent $10 on tomatoes yesterday. Worth every penny.
3. Heat Waves. In the park during my lunch break my phone claimed it was 93 degrees out. Ugh. We’re approaching our FOURTH heat wave of the summer. And I have no central air. I’ve definitely gotten more used to these 90+ days, but I don’t know how much more I can take. I pretty much can’t wear make up, deal with my hair, or wear most of my clothes. Fall, please hurry!
4. The Pope. Yes, the POPE. I live in Philadelphia, and Pope Francis himself is coming for a visit at the end of September. This has been the biggest stress for weeks now. They are closing roads, putting up security fences, closing the schools…The city is not about to let anything bad happen during the two days he’s here. The secret service came to my place of work to talk about it. Lucky for me this means I get a day off work, but still, it’s ridiculous. They are estimating 1.5 MILLION people are going to come from outside the city to attend mass. Oh, and the mass is being held just blocks from my house.
5. But there is always TV. I just want to give some love to the two best TV shows that run in the summer. Big Brother and Bachelor in Paradise. I’ve been watching Big Brother since I was a kid, and still love it to this day. I’m so happy my BF loves it now too! Bachelor in Paradise may be one of the funniest television shows I’ve ever seen. I mean, hot, single people with unlimited alcohol and bikinis…how could it not be. When I’m sleepy and all I want it pajamas, I’m pretty grateful for these shows.